Legislative Branch

The Tilikum Crossing transit bridge over the Willamette River in Portland. (Oregon State Archives Photo)
Oregon’s Provisional Legislature first met formally in 1845 in Oregon City. They were a unicameral body that operated on an uncertain schedule. The present bicameral system—two houses with senators and representatives—was adopted in 1859 upon statehood. Today’s legislators meet annually in Salem and deals with complex matters and busy schedules. This section introduces the members of the Legislature and describes how the Legislature is organized.