Preparing Records for Transfer
The following information is needed to accurately account for the records
- Records retention schedule number (e.g., 99-0072/032).
- Records series title (e.g., Transportation Commission Minutes).
- Date span (earliest and latest year).
- Approximate quantity (note oversize volumes or other
records that will not fit in a one cubic foot box).
- Fill out and send online "Records Transfer Request Form."
- Get unassembled acid-free boxes
from the Oregon State Archives.
- Prepare the records by removing duplicates and non-permanent records.
Work with only one record series or type (e.g., commission minutes) at a time.
If you have any related files listings or indexes that are useful in accessing the records, include them with the transfer.
Place the records in the box.
- Keep the records in the same order they had as active files (e.g., alphabetical, numerical).
All file folders should face the same direction in the box and be labeled.
- Leave at least 1.5 inches of free space in each box.
- File folders from lateral filing systems may need to be refoldered. Contact Mary McRobinson
Please DO NOT TAPE THE BOXES SHUT.
Label each box with the following information:
- Agency or division name (e.g., Audits Division).
- Record series title (e.g., Transportation Commission Minutes).
- First and last identifier in the box (i.e., the alphabetical, numerical, or other range of records within the box, for example, case file #1 to #749).
- Box number within that group of records (e.g., box 7 of 85).
Request archives boxes from Mary McRobinson. Assembly instructions are included. Because of the large size of the unassembled boxes, they cannot be sent via interagency mail. Please pick them up from the Archives Building loading dock after arranging a date and time.
Note: These archival quality boxes are not the same as the "Archives" boxes offered by OfficeMax, which are not acid free.
Transferring records >