- Only Oregon state and local government records that are scheduled as "permanent" in a valid records retention schedule are eligible for transfer to the Oregon State Archives. The Archives reserves the right to decline the transfer of certain records that have permanent retention periods.
- State agency records with shorter retention periods may be eligible for storage in the
State Records Center.
- State and local government security copy microfilm should be transferred to the
Security Copy Depository.
- Start by locating the records retention schedule for your agency. Your agency records officer should have a copy. Many state agency records retention schedules are available in the
agency information section of the Oregon Blue Book.
Local government officials can consult the local government
records retention schedule.
- Find the records description within the schedule that most closely matches the records under consideration for transfer to the Oregon State Archives.
- If you cannot identify an appropriate records description and retention period, contact your agency records officer or the Records Management Unit of the Oregon State Archives by dialing 503-373-0701, option 3 for assistance.
- If you identify an appropriate records description and the retention period is permanent, contact
Mary McRobinson (503-378-4972) of the Reference Unit to request authorization to transfer the records to the Oregon State Archives.
Preparing records for transfer >