Oregon Secretary of State

Fires in Oregon

​​​Displaced Voter FAQ

How can I receive my ballot if I have been displaced by wildfires?

  1. For voters with a mailing address in Oregon ballots are generally mailed starting 20 days before an election. If you know an address where you will be able to receive mail beginning 20 days prior to the election​, you can add a temporary mailing address at oregonvotes.gov/myvote to receive your ballot​.

  2. If you want to use a paper form to provide us with a temporary address Download the Absentee Ballot Request Form here.

  3. You can pick up all of your mail (including ballots once they are mailed) at the post office that serves your permanent residence address.

  4. Contact your county election office for additional or alternative options. Find your county here: https://sos.oregon.gov/elections/Pages/countyofficials.aspx

If I submit a change of address through USPS will my ballot be forwarded to the new address?

NO. Ballots are not forwardable. It is one of the security features of our system. You must inform election officials of your temporary address using one of the methods above in order to have your ballot sent there.

Do I need to register to vote from my temporary address?

NO. You do not need to re-register to vote if you are living somewhere temporarily because you have been displaced by wildfires. You just need to let election officials know where to mail your ballot by one of the methods above.

Will I be able to vote on the local measures where my permanent address is located even if I am temporarily living outside that area?

YES. The ballot you receive will contain the contests for your residential address, not your temporary mailing address.

What if my mailbox was destroyed?

If mail cannot be delivered to your home or mailbox, it will be held at your local post office and you can pick it up there.