List of Qualifications
To be a notary public in Oregon, you must meet certain qualifications at the time of application:
- 18 years of age or older.
- Resident of Oregon or have a place of employment or practice in this state.
- Able to read and write English.
- Never had a notary public commission revoked during the 10-year period preceding the application date.
- Completed a notary training course within the last 6 months.
- Note: Not required of current Oregon notaries with an active commission at the time the new application is received in our office.
- Never convicted of a felony or crime involving fraud, dishonesty or deceit during the 10-year period preceding the application date.
- Passed the Secretary of State’s Notary Public examination.
- Not have been convicted of:
- Acting as or otherwise impersonating a notary public as described in ORS 194.990;
- Obstructing governmental or judicial administration under ORS 162.235 (1)(b); or
- Engaging in the unlawful practice of law as described in ORS 9.160.
- Not have been found by a court to have:
Go to the Online Notary Application.