Consumer Protection Resources

​​Know Who You Are Doing Business With

The Secretary of State registry serves as registration of businesses, only. Some businesses are not required to register with us, such as those doing business under his or her own name. You can perform a Business Name Search or Uniform Commercial Code search below.

Business Licensing

It’s important to know that the Secretary of State does not include proof of mandatory licensing as part of the business registry process; therefore, cannot verify if the business holds required licenses to do business in Oregon. Before you do business, verify that the business you desire to work with is properly licensed. ​

Business Xpress License Directory has a license holder search page. Here you can select the type of business, search license requirements and status of license, whether active or inactive. 

Other Resources

The Better Business Bureau and the Department of Justice are resources you can utilize to research a business before you start doing business with them.

Better Business Bureau
Search for business reviews