Address: PO Box C, Warm Springs 97761
Treaty Date: June 25, 1855
Number of Members: 5,292
Land Base Acreage: 644,000 acres
Number of people employed by the Tribes: 700
The tribes have established a number of enterprises under the Corporate Charter that are operated independently of tribal government, but contribute to the economy of the reservation, including Warm Springs Power & Water, Warm Springs Forest Products, Warm Springs Composite Products and Indian Head Casino.
Points of Interest
Indian Head Casino and the Museum at Warm Springs; the annual April Welcome Home Vietnam Veterans’ Parade and Expo
History and Culture
Long before Europeans set foot on the North American continent, the three tribes of the Warm Springs Reservation – the Wasco, the Walla Walla (later called the Warm Springs), and the Paiute – had developed societies beside the Columbia River, Cascade Mountains, and other parts of Oregon. Prior to settling on the reservation, natural food resources were so plentiful that agriculture was unnecessary for the three tribes of the Warm Springs Reservation. Salmon from the nearby Columbia was a staple for the Wasco and Warm Springs bands. The high-plains Paiutes depended more on deer and other large game. All three tribes took advantage of assorted roots, fruits and other plant life. Salmon were hauled out of the Columbia with long-handled dip nets. Roots were pulled from the ground with specialized digging sticks called kapns. Berries were gathered in ornately-woven baskets. Centuries of practice perfected these methods.
Chief Tribal Judge Anita Jackson, PO Box 850, Warm Springs 97761; 541-553-3454
2019: Chairman Austin Greene, Jr., Paiute Chief Joe Moses, Warm Springs Chief Delvis Heath, Wasco Chief Alfred Smith, Jr., Representatives: Charles “Jody” Calica, Brigette McConville, Carina Miller, Ron Suppah, Valerie Switzler, Lee Tom, Raymond Tsumpti