Established by William Hatchette Vaughan in 1844
Location: Clackamas County
2009 Owners: Jack E. Johns, Eugene Vaughan, Floyd Vaughan, and Carol Gienger
William Vaughan was a member of the Great Migration of 1843 - part of the first wagon train to go all the way from Missouri to Oregon. That same year at Champoeg, a provisional government was organized that approved allowing new immigrants a land claim of no more than one square mile, or 640 acres. The Vaughan claim was located two miles from Molalla. It was one of the earliest in the Willamette Valley south of Oregon City and was later confirmed as a donation land claim. Vaughan was a prominent figure in early Oregon and became a large landholder as he acquired adjacent claims over a period of time. Cattle, sheep, wheat, hay, a fruit orchard, and vegetables were raised in the early years.
Cattle are raised on the 107-acre parcel left from the original claim of 164 years ago.