The first flour mill in the Oregon Country began operating at Fort Vancouver in 1828. Oregon's temperate climate and fertile soil were well-suited for producing grain. Ft. Vancouver raised enough food to feed the Hudson's Bay Company employees and to sell supplies to trappers who bought their provisions from the company. It was especially important to create a local supply of grain because grain and flour were often damaged on the voyage from Britain.
Flour production continued to be a major business as Oregon was settled. The first trademark registered with the Secretary of State was the Willamette Valley's Standard Mills, in 1864.