A logging town near the Burnt River in gold mine country, Whitney was founded and platted in 1900. The community thrived along the narrow gauge Sumpter Valley Railway, which reached the area in 1901. The Oregon Lumber Company built the first sawmill in the area but it was devastated by a fire in 1918 and never fully rebuilt by the time the industry declined in the 1940s. At one time the town was home to over 150 people, but after the railway was abandoned in 1947, it has dwindled to a few residents.
A wagon sits in front of the Whitney Post Office in the early 1900s. (Courtesy of Baker County Library District) Enlarge Image