Hardman, first called “Rawdog,” was once a center of commerce for farms in southern Morrow County. The town prospered with schools, stores, hotels, a newspaper, and even a telephone office. However, Hardman declined after the 1920s when a railroad ran through nearby Heppner, 20 miles to the northeast. One of the last commercial buildings standing from the town's heyday is the Independent Order of Odd Fellows (IOOF) hall, which was built in 1900.
A cattle drive moves down Main Street in Hardman in 1962. (Courtesy of Ben Maxwell Collections) Enlarge Image
Old buildings in Hardman. (Oregon State Archives, 2007) Enlarge Image
The old Hardman IOOF Lodge Hall in Hardman. (Ian Poellet, Wikimedia Commons) Enlarge Image
Lumber helps brace the front porch of a house in Hardman. (Wikimedia Commons) Enlarge Image