Granite was once a prosperous gold mining town. However, in 1942 the government shut down gold and other non-essential mines to focus the nation's efforts on World War II. The town's economy collapsed and never recovered while its population fell to one person in the 1960s. In 1990, eight residents called Granite home. In recent years, more retired people moved there and the population rose to 40 in 2018.
People stand in front of the Niven & Ditmars General Merchandise store in Granite in the late 1800s. (Courtesy of Baker County Library District) Enlarge Image
Allen Hall in Granite has been the city hall and was signed as a museum in 2019. (Oregon State Archives, 2012) Enlarge Image
The old general store building in Granite. (Oregon State Archives, 2012) Enlarge Image
The cemetery in Granite includes wooden grave markers. (Oregon State Archives, 2019) Enlarge Image