Beacon Rock (1850 - 1930)

Beacon Rock stereograph
This undated stereograph card shows Beacon Rock along the Columbia River Gorge. It was known as Castle Rock for years. Then, in 1961 the U.S. Board of Geographic Names officially restored the name of Beacon Rock given to it by Lewis and Clark.

Image source: The Miriam and Ira D. Wallach Division of Art, Prints and Photographs: Photography Collection, The New York Public Library. View on Columbia River, Oregon. 1850 - 1930 Approximate.​