Inactive Business/OLCC scam

​Don’t Be Bul​lied!

A scammer has sent threatening letters to a few businesses in the bar and restaurant industry. This scammer demanded money in exchange for not filing complaints with the Oregon Liquor Control Commission (OLCC), claiming the business’s failure to keep government paperwork up-to-date threatened its status with the OLCC.

Any businesses receving this type of threatening letter should contact:

  1. Their local police department to file a criminal complaint.
  2. The OLCC at 800-452-6522 (if licensed to sell alcohol) and
  3. The Corporation Division​ at 503-986-2200 for assistance updating and renewing business registrations.

The Secretary of State wants all businesses to know that you have options in these situations. Our office can help a business register a new assumed business name (dba) or trade name, change a legal business name, and reinstate a dissolved corporate registration in some situations. See Registering Your Business Name (FAQ) for more information.

The Oregon Liquor Control Commission wants you to know that updating license information is a simple procedure. Just complete the OLCC change of information form (PDF). Contact the OLCC at 800-452-6522 or online with questions. OLCC staff and compliance investigators are available to assist you​​